2010/04/26

Dirt road and broken pedal again



I had planned to enter the Almonte Paris-Roubaix yesterday but with things coming up left and right lately and friends requesting my presence for an important dodgeball tournament, I decided to skip the cyclosportive that was just a training anyway... And they were asking us to respect road signs (stop signs, speed limits) which was kind of a downer.



I still did some great riding on dirt roads, discovering a sweet new hilly road with Nic saturday morning under a nice sunny sky. The ride went great but we each had 'technical' issues. Nic as been hit with an annoying knee pain lately and I had what seems to happen almost every week now: yes, I managed to break another Eggbeater pedal, the third one this year.




Yes it's ridiculous. I was attacking a climb, out of the saddle, then I felt an unusual amount of play, looked down to see most of the left pedal spindle and my foot way out... The bearing just blew up so the pedal could come out the spindle, I did the last 15km pedaling on the spindle, very efficient. And even with the new Eggbeater range now looking stronger, I'll probably be shopping for three pairs of Time Atac pedals soon.

The dodgeball tournament was a great cross-training, I really enjoyed my long mano-a-mano duel with birthday boy Steakface... But I'm too nice, I had to let him win.



The sun was back on sunday. Nic prefered to rest his knee so I went for solo ride, not too long but going pretty hard and fast, real fast in fact at the beginning as I had a strong wind in the back. The second half was a much harder half of the ride with a headwind, freshly scraped gravel roads and more climbing to make those legs work.



Remote areas sometimes have too many people driving their old pickups with a beer or a couple in hand, leaving some reminders along the way:



But in the middle of the day, the very few cars and pickups I saw on the roads were all cyclist friendly, even waving some hellos. So nice roads, nice weather, nice views, nice rides and some good times with good friends. A great weekend.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would seriously look at Bebops. They are rock solid, equivalent in weight, and cheaper. I've been using them for years and given them plenty of abuse. My 2 cents.

-Will

Dan Gerous said...

Don't Bebop cleats always get stuffed with dirt and mud?

Guillaume Morin said...

I realize once again because of your pictures that some gravel roads are in much better conditions than many paved roads in the province. :(

Nathan said...

Time are the only real option Dan. Bulletproof, "relatively" light and look good. I've just done the same thing and replaced all my Eggies with Atacs recently...

Jonas l said...

Nathan forgot that Time is feeling better than Shimano does :). Can't understand how you break your pedals so fast, sad anyway.

Really love your cross, Cyclocrossworld should be choose the paint of all Cannondales cyclocrossbikes :)

Dan Gerous said...

Shimano are not even a consideration. They are bombproof but that's it, bad feel, crappy engagement, suck in mud and snow, harder to clip-in and out of but still clip out when you don't want to, heavy...

I wouldn't say I break them so fast, this one was 5 years old, the last one was 1.5-2 years old... It's just that Crank Brothers have a limited lifespan. I'm on the fence between going with the Times (more durable but heavier) or take a leap of faith with new Eggbeaters...

I'm happy the yellow black cyclocrossworld.com painted bikes were never sold by Cannondale, gives me a bit of exclusivity. :)