2010/04/11

1X10



After a nice Paris-Roubaix, it was my turn to go ride against the elements... Okay, I didn't face such hard roads. In fact, I decided to take the Scalpel for a spin today for a few reasons.

First, crazy wind, I thought I'd be a bit sheltered from it by staying off the road but I still got hit by the nasty wind in many sections, trees do provide some protection but, they don't have much foliage yet so not as much wind sheild.



Second reason, I wanted to test the 1X10 transmission with the new SRAM XX parts and the few modifications I did over the winter. I still haven't received the proper chainguide and I broke a few alloy single ring bolts but it wasn't enough to stop me. I modified an old front derailleur to use as a chainguide. I set it super low so the top of the cage is almost against the chain, shaved bits and cut and bent the cage will make it work until MRP actually produce their 1.X clamp-on guide. Since I realised the chainring bolts were broken yesterday night, I slapped a smaller ring outside as a bolt spacer... It really looks ghetto and far from elegant but it works in the meantime.

As for the gearing, as I anticipated, I found myself spinning fast on the road and long hardpack descent but this is not where the bike will be used. On typical Quebec XC race courses, I don't think I'll miss taller gears. The SRAM XX trio of shifter, rear derailleur and cassette works very well, very smooth and fast shifts, no hesitation, not that I was expecting anything less. I'm not sold on the shifter's ergonomics yet, the big thumb lever to climb up the cassette is perfect but the little one to move down the cassette is oddly placed, I may have to drop the Formula MixMaster clamp so I can pivot the shifter a bit more... Maybe it's just the Grip SHift user in me that's not used to it.



Also new, a Syntace Vector Carbon bar is a sweet addition compared to the old school FSA K-Force flat I had before. It has a minimal rise and a not too severe 9° sweep but what I immediatly noticed and enjoy was the 680mm width. The wide stance is comfortable, gives some great leverage when going hard out of the saddle and will be much better in downhills.



I also have a Lefty Speed Fox Terralogic for the moment. My Lefty SL is going to get a good service but the Terralogic works great, no need to think about a lockout lever, it thinks about that itself so when you hammer out of the saddle, it remains stable and behaved. I love that Lefty, it jst adds a lot of weight over the SL.

Today was just a little test, I didn't get to ride real trails so I'll comment more once I do.

10 comments:

Pete said...

if you're selling you're FSA, i'm in the market.

Dan Gerous said...

Pete, send me an email (link at upper right of the blog)...

Kevin said...

Hi Dan,

is it possible to adjust the XX trigger on the Formula mixmaster, like the stock XX trigger clamps or SRAM's XX matchmakers?

Nice bike!

Kev

Dan Gerous said...

Kevin, it is possible to adjust the shifter on the Formula clamp, but the range is pretty small so it only has a few degrees of possible rotation, not as much as the SRAM Matchmakers and obviously the stock standalone shifter clamp which can be rotated 360°...

Johnny said...

Can you adjust the little lever's angle, you can on the big lever right?

Have you tried the DoubleTap flatbar shifter? I have that on my flatbar cross bike with the XX rear derailleur & cassette and it works really good, but you can easily hit the lever into a smaller cog by mistake.
Johnny

Dan Gerous said...

Johnny,

You can adjust the big lever's angle yes. I haven't tried the DoubleTap flatbar shifter I'm not sure it would be good on a mountain bike for the reason you know, hit a bump when you shift, and you could easily end up downshifting or shifting more gears than you intented... SRAM were smart to not use DoubleTap on the XX shifters.

Nathan said...

hey dan, whats the measurement from the centre of the BB to the top of the saddle that you run?

Dan Gerous said...

Nathan, it's about 29"...

Anonymous said...

e.13 makes a 1-by guide, the XCX, that's available now. Plus, it's a shade lighter than the MRP if that matters....

Dan Gerous said...

But like the MRP 1.X that's been available for a year before E*13, the XCX is also only available with a BB mount, something that doesn't work with a BB30 frame and crankset.