2009/07/06

First endurance race



Well, I pulled the trigger, I'm registered to race the Raid Vélo Mag on July 18th. The race starts in Quebec City, in front of the Château Frontenac and ends in Mont Sainte-Anne, some 72km later. The plan is to have fun along with Nic but also to check how I can do in a longer race. I think it might be better for me than pure xc races. I can climb well, hold a decent pace for a long time and I usually get faster and faster as races go by, finishing with more speed and energy in races around the 1h30 mark that end just when I'm starting to pick it up.



By the way, I didn't race yesterday in Bromont's mud fest. After pre-riding the course friday, I noticed a broken bolt on my bike's suspension swing link. And the two laps I did were kind of low on the fun scale. Greasy mud caking the bikes (rear wheel and chain barely turning, chainsucks, 20lbs bike quickly becoming a 40lbs bike...), lots of walking that was faster in many sections kind of left me not really motivated to go anyway. I think it would have been faster to go with a cross bike and run the whole thing.

I spent part of the day giving some much needed love to my Scalpel instead, cleaned and re-greased the pedal threads, installed a small metal plate to protect the carbon chainstay in case of a chainsuck, fine tuned the brakes and switched the rotor bolts from steel to titanium ones I had laying around, cleaned the drivetrain... And the broken bolt is now replaced with a disc brake caliper mounting bolt, cut to fit and a spacer I got at the hardware store. Should be good to go now.

3 comments:

Nathan said...

Dan - can you post up a picture of the plate you put on the chain stay?

Dan Gerous said...

It's the standard Cannondale oval-shaped metal plate, like this. Mine didn't come with it so I got one...

Nic said...

Let's Team up and GO! will have a fun time at that race.