2009/05/24

Updated Scalpel raced



While I gather my thoughts and wait for the official results to post a report of my first race of the season that took place yesterday, here's my Scalpel with the few upgrades as some of you requested. I didn't have the time to mount the non-UST Racing Ralphs on the Notubes wheels in time for the race so the Crossmax got some actions...



The Ergon grips are very nice and let me have a few different hand positions during the race and their bar-ends were put to good use on the short power climbs, again, very good grips and while some people think they are not good for descents, the technical downhill sections never left me wishing to go back to regular shaped grips.



The Formula R1 are pretty good too. Very light, good power and control with a single digit on the nicely shaped carbon levers.



The front caliper needed additional shims between the caliper and IS adaptor on the front so the pads cleared the rotor's rivets. This seems to be a problem with Lefty users only so the brake tabs might be slightly out of specs on the Lefty that only shows up with the very small clearance of these rotors. About 20 cents worth of shims solves that.



The driveside pistons are still a bit lazy and don't retract fully yet, that makes them rub a little and Formula suggested I wait until the seals get properly broken-in until the final judgment on that. They are already a little better than when they were new but the pistons might need a deeper clean until they're the perfect XC brakes.

2 comments:

Ross said...

What does it weigh Dan ?

Dan Gerous said...

Probably about the same as last year, lost some weight in the brakes, added some with the grips... It was about 9600gr last year, with the Crossmax SLR and UST tires... I'll weigh it again once I put the Notubes wheels and lighter tires on...