2009/02/23

SRAM XX surfaces...




Is this SRAM's new 2x10 mountain group aimed at the XC racers? If it is, I'm a bit dissapointed with the group as a whole honestly. Brakes are typical Avids (which I'm not a fan of), no sign of Grip Shifts yet (they're lighter, cheaper, faster, tougher, never been into triggers) and the crankset, while interesting with it's gearing and narrower stance, won't be any better than my Hollowgram SL... The front derailleur looks meaty and heavy, too overbuilt as most mtb front derailleurs are (who hits rocks with their front derailleurs anyway?)... Graphics are not too great too but hey, it's just me and my wallet is happy, I see no point in upgrading anything from my current drivetrain setup right now.

Still, I think it's about time a company creates a real racing drivetrain, I think the most important thing here is true double cranksets becoming a standard, not the additional cog. Double cranks are a good idea if you ask me. Currently, it's clearly not for everyone as some people can have a hard time pushing a 29-34 lowest gear but evolution is showing that doubles are better: less cross-chaining issues, less front shifts that are much clunkier and slower than rear shifts, narrower cranksets... And a few big companies will have lower geared double cranks soon: SRAM with XX, FSA will have 27/40 and 27/42 doubles and some smaller companies already offer such options... Shimano also released a 12-36 cassette, combine it with a 27/42 and you wont miss your 3x9. So with SRAM pushing this, how long before Shimano offers a similar XTR option?

Now, let's see how long before I get hunted down by SRAM...

6 comments:

LordOnOne said...

The graphics are really amateurish, design wise it’s interesting but not amazing. Perhaps some better photos and details will get me more excited.

Dan Gerous said...

It looks cheap but, the picture is pretty crappy, looks like a cell phone picture of a printed catalog or something. Then again, I really like my current SRAM parts (X.0 and Red) but the company is not known to make beautiful products and it always looks much cheaper than the price tags would lead you to believe.

When a company is teasing about new products and promising groundbreaking and innovative things, it's easy to be deceived as it rarely live up to the hype... I know SRAM hasn't said much yet about XX but they made magazine write that it would be groundbreaking...

electric said...

Dan, we have located your posting and are dispatching our blood sucking lawyers to you address as we speak. Do not attempt escape!

Have you heard if the 10sp chain is going to be narrower? I'd be worried about it's strength and chain-sucking if that was the case.

Dan Gerous said...

I think the cassette will be the same width as a 9 speed to fit on current freehub bodies so I'm guessing the chain will have to be narrower to fit the tighter spacing... Don't quote me on that though.

Anonymous said...

I don't agree with you about the double crank Dan. Cross chains are much more likely to happen with a double than a triple setup. I tossed away the stock double ring on my scalpel for this particular reason.

Jess

Dan Gerous said...

Let me clarify Jess:

On a 2x9 or 2x10, you cross-chain much more, but the angle of the chain is not bad compared to cross-chaining with a triple. The idea is to have the big ring closer in and allow to use it with the whole cassette, only dropping to the 29t on badass climbs.

I usually use my big ring with every cog but the tallest, use the second tallest not too often but I do, I then use the 29t ring with the top half of the cassette and my chain gets less twisted than it does on my other bike with a triple...