2009/01/29

My CX Worlds picks



I'm betting these guys above will be wishing Stybar and Franzoi win this Sunday but, although both could podium at the 09 World Cyclocross Championships, my predictions differ slightly.

Defending World Champion Lars Boom will be home in his last full cross season so he'll be very motivated. He has been saying that this weekend's race was one of his top goals for the last two years. He seems in form too. If he can keep his cleats clean and be ready to win a sprint, he'll be the top favorite IMO. He also has the advantage of having his country teamates working for him, something that most Belgians have shown many times they can't do... With his skills, his power, his confidence and a team behind him, it's hard not too pick him as the top favorite.


Who's that training with the Belgians? Sign of a great race for J-Pow?

Sven Nijs is the other top choice because... well, he's Sven Nijs! The guy can pretty much win any cyclocross race under any condition. He also looks to have avoided his usual race to win 5 times a week all season long so he looks more fresh than at the same time last year, he'll be up there. Plus his win in a sprint against Boom at last week's Italian World Cup will help him psychologically... but maybe Boom, not in the race for the World Cup overall and with so much focus on the World Championships lost the sprint on purpose just to let Nijs and others think he will be beatable, but plans to kick everyone in the nuts to keep his second straight elite rainbow jersey? We'll see but I think it will be Boom again with Sven in second...

Niels Albert will want to save his season and has seemed to be using the last few races just as training... He was silent, almost hiding but never far from the front. Stybar is going good these days and even at something like 73 years of age, Vervecken always comes around to being among the best for the Worlds, he reminded everyone by winning the Roubaix World Cup. I think these three will fight for bronze.


Click the map to do a virtual lap...

Wild cards? The current and former Italian champs Franzoi and Marco Aurelio Fontana could squeeze onto the podium with the help of their Cannondales... Marco has not yet switched to a Cannondale has he? Too bad. Wellens wont be too far but I don't see him on the podium. From North Americans, I'd love to see Jeremy Powers do a good race, top 15 maybe, top 10 would be incredible. I don't see Ryan Trebon doing too good, he's psychologically fragile and complains when things aren't perfect and realistically, he'll get his ass served to himself on a cornet de frites by the europeans and he knows it so he'll start already with dark ideas. Are there any Canadians racing? Kabush is not...

For the women, I think the podium will be shared between Compton, Vos and Hanka but expect good racing from mountain bikers Georgia Gould and Sue Butler and Canadian Champ Wendy Simms is good for a top ten.

So who are your picks?

2 comments:

Masini said...

I can't say I disagree with you... pretty solid picks and read on things. I'm headed up there in a couple hours...

Dan Gerous said...

I wish I could live somewhere like Basel so I could go to the best races too! With that said, I watched last year's World's this week while on the trainer, think I saw you on the side of the course...