2008/12/04

09 Cannondale Factory team



I briefly mentionned a while ago that the Cannondale-Vredestein team was no more and that there would be a Cannondale Factory team but now, it's confirmed with more names and details.

Roel Paulissen returns but will be joined by Marco Aurelio Fontana and Martin Gujan to tackle the World Cup podiums. The team will also merge with the former Sobe team on the north-american side, Sobe is stopping it's sponsorship but the team will go on relatively unchanged. Most co-sponsors will be back too so expect the Scalpel team bikes to keep rolling on Mavic wheels, SRAM transmissions and Avid brakes... On what tires will they roll though, I don't know. Good luck to the team for 2009.

5 comments:

Vu said...

Glad to hear that Cannondale will still be represented in the World Cups. Hmmm.. I still believe Sobe-Cannondale will continue for 2009 according to Velonews http://www.velonews.com/article/85612/mountain-bike-news
And according to my friend who is racing for them.

Dan Gerous said...

I saw that too so I edited out the Sobe part of my post... I'll fish for real answers.

Dan Gerous said...

Okay, according to the official press release, Sobe stopped the sponsorship... but the team will continue with the riders and all, only the Sobe name, logo will disappear...

Vu said...

Wow, I'm totally surprised and shocked that Sobe is pulling out after just a year of racing, I really thought they were going to stick for a bit longer. I guess no more free Sobe drinks.

Dan Gerous said...

Well, not just one year, the Sobe-Cannondale team dates from around 10 years back... the team has been known under the name Bear-Naked-Cannondale for 2 years between that 10 year period but Sobe has been one of the industry sponsors sticking the longest... The team as been one of the best for launching the careers of many of the best pro racers today.

Every corporation is out to save money these days so sponsors change a lot.