2008/10/02

Beer and wheels



Cross this, cross that, cross here, cross there... Yeah yeah, everybody is talking about cyclocross these days and more than a few are trying to get me into the sport. I can't blame them, it seems like fun on wheels... if your idea of fun is suffering, getting cold and getting shout at by drunk people.



Seriously, it really looks fun, it's short and hard, great training to stay fit and improve technical skills and bike handling, the typical bad weather in Quebec seems to be a perfect match (although the cross scene is almost non-existent here even though local and now retired Lyne Bessette was among the best crossers in North America), it's much less serious and shallow as the road scene but most importantly, spectators drink beer, sometimes in bikinis and seem to have more fun than at mountain bike races so I could probably get a few of my non-cyclist but beer drinking friends to come along... So I'm in the hunt for a cross bike, hopefully, I can get one before the season ends.



With that, I'll soon participate in a fun, between friends invitational race called the Saucisse Cup. Details will follow on that one but that could be a good place to use a cross bike...

2 comments:

The Jackal said...

That's a great take on it all Dan. The Saucisse Cup sounds like a good way to get things started too.

Dan Gerous said...

Well, it's not a real cross race, it's a 'whatever you want' race, some will be mountain biking, others might be crossing it... If I get my cross bike on time, I'll probably be on it. But since I'm helping the organiser set it up, I may ask for some cross features on the course...