2008/08/25

To 12H or not



This coming saturday, there is a 12H race on the same trails and more or less the same course that I last raced. Les Coeurs Vaillants are organising the 2nd edition of La Grande Virée des Coeurs Vaillants. I tried to organize a 4 man team but as expected, some friends couldn't and some thought spending that much time on a bike is not a good idea (even though split in four, 12H isn't much) so I'm now considering doing it in the solo category...

Yeah, I'm not sure about it. So as you might have seen to the right, I have a poll going on to see what you think so do vote and feel free to comment with whatever might help.



I now have a super weapon now, a Carbon Scalpel (pictures, details and review coming soon). Rode on it yesterday and it's an incredible bike: fast, light, precise, it's name represent it well. I also pre-rode most of the course during the last race and it's a good course for me, twisty with lots of short punchy climbs but still with some places to recuperate. It's also a good course for the Scalpel, which corners like a go-cart with plenty of traction and the rear suspension will take care of the roots. Another thing that encourages me to do it is the ambiance of the event, it's got a festive feel more than a competition feel so it leads me to approach it as fun ride more than a race.

I might do it without much pressure, just see how can I do, how long I can go, just trying to have fun on the bike. But, how long is that? I haven't trained for such an event and I just don't know how my legs and butt will take it (I haven't told them about it yet) so I am hesitating for now... As experienced endurance racer Jeff Kerkove told me, pacing will be important, you gotta conserve energy to hold for 12 hours, be sure to eat well and enough, drink plenty, replace electrolytes and everything... but the goal is obviously not to win, having fun would be priority number one and just trying to do my best and gain some experience.

So, what do you guys and gals think? Post your thoughts and tips, I have until the evening on the 28th to sign-up.

11 comments:

Absynthe said...

You're the only one who can tell if you can or cannot stand 12hrs riding.

I've done 10 hrs once -not racing- and was really tiring, and I was sore the next day, which was, to my luck, downwards.

Or you can do it anyway until you feel it's time to stop.

I guess you'll never know until you try!

BTW, is there a way to go without driving your own car?

Dan Gerous said...

Are you implying I should go to the venue on my bike? :)

You guys want me to suffer don't you? Already 10 votes for and 0 against this race...

Absynthe said...

Pain heals.
Chicks dig scars.
Glory lasts forever. :)

Dan Gerous said...

They do?

I think I'll decide at the last minute, will depend how I feel physically at the end of the week. Weather might play a role in my decision too...

used2Bhard said...

I'd only say no if it's going to affect a race the next week that's really imporatant to you. You will be fine doing it, but you will likely not back in your best form for 2 weeks.

Dan Gerous said...

One vote against? I swear it's not me! :) My vote will be the last one, the one that counts the most... It might be my mother.

Used2bhard: I have another race the week after, on the same course. I wanted to do good there but...

used2Bhard said...

You should be fine a week later, but not 100%. If I was in your shoes and I did it....I'd try and get a recovery spin in the next day, and then take 3 days off. I'd probably try and get a 1 hour ride in after that to get things flowing again, then take 1 more day off before the race.

Anonymous said...

Why would you go to hell and bear atrocious suffering for 12 hours at the enduro while you could be in heaven at St-félicien with a XC race saturday and a TT on sunday?

Jess

Dan Gerous said...

Because it's hell to drive all the way to St-Félicien. :) And because I have something planned on sunday and monday. Sorry Jess, you wont have the chance to steal my Scalpel this weekend.

Anonymous said...

I'm not gona steal another scalpel as I have enough troubles with mine :p I purchased one 4 weeks ago and destroyed the whole drivetrain within 2 races. I was gona post in your thread below but didn't want to burst your bubble...yet :)

Dan Gerous said...

My drivetrain was working fine on the Taurine and also on the Scalpel. What kind of trouble? You can email me if you prefer...