2008/05/17

Gear: Met Stradivarius 199



The Giro is not over yet so let's keep the Italian theme going. While last time I posted about what I wear on my feet, now it's the opposite end of the body, the head.



They can be hard to find in America but Met helmets have nothing to envy Giro or Specialized (except their revenue I guess). When I got my Stradivarius 199, I thought the box was empty... but it was indeed in the box, with some extra pads, velcros and the instructions. The 199 in the name stands for 199 grams, the claimed weight of the helmet. I'm not sure how close to being true it is but my size large is noticably lighter than my old Giro helmets.

Like most helmets on the market today, you got a rear head retention adjuster, a number of vents, internal cooling channels and an in-mold plastic skin covering the foam. The straps are made of kevlar for weight saving with a meshy material in the middle to allow some air flow but the bulk of the weight saving is in the use of a special foam material.



Since helmets are about security, a nice feature that surprisingly hasn't found it's way on all helmets is two reflective stickers on the back of the helmet so cars can see you better at night... or on those 4AM training rides.

Venting is good with big frontal vents and a huge rear central exhaust but there hasn't been very hot summer days yet to test completely. And it may be the shape of my head creating turbulences but when I reach a certain speed, usually going downhill, the helmet whistles a bit, not too bad but noticable. Fit is good on my relatively narrow but long whistling head. Let's hope I don't crash on it too soon though, it's not the cheapest helmet around.

1 comment:

Masini said...

Got 2 myself. One road Liquigas, one mountain Cannondale-Vredestein. MeT helmets rock big time. In addition, they have quite possibly the coolest factory/office I've ever visited outside of Lambo. It's in the northern Italy region of the Valtellina northeast of Lake Como. Frosted glass divides the factory from the office, while the rest is a combination of hardwood and steel.